Historical Background of YAU
In 1924 Burma Agricultural College and Research Institute was founded in Mandalay, the second largest city of Myanmar. It was reorganized as a Constituent College of Yangon University in 1938. In 1947, the college was transformed into the status of Faculty of Agriculture in Mandalay under the administration of Rangoon University and again under Mandalay University in 1958. In 1964 it was upgraded to a separate university known as the “Institute of Agriculture” under the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education. The Institute was moved from Mandalay to Yezin in 1973. It was transferred to the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation in 1993 and renamed as “Yezin Agricultural University (YAU)” in 1998.
The agricultural education at the college level in the Union of Myanmar was started on December 22, 1924 with the establishment of the Agricultural College and Research Institute of Mandalay. The college offered a diploma course which was of 3-year duration. The college was closed down during the year 1933 through 1937 due to the Great Depression of the 1930’s.
In 1938, the college became a constituent college of the University of Rangoon. Students who had passed the Intermediate of Science examination of the Rangoon University were admitted to the agricultural course and were conferred B.Sc (Agriculture) degree after two years of study period. The college was closed down in 1942 to 1945 due to the Second World War. After the war, temporary arrangements were made for the second year agricultural students to continue their studies at Mahling Farm for the academic year 1945-46.
In 1947, the college was transformed to the status of Faculty of Agriculture in Mandalay under the administration of the University of Rangoon. The two-year agricultural course was extended to three-year course in 1955 and B.Sc (Sericulture) degree was also awarded in that year.
The Intermediate College of Mandalay became a separate university in 1958 and the Faculty of Agriculture was placed under the University of Mandalay.
The Faculty of Agriculture was upgraded to the separate university known as the Institute (University) of Agriculture. Due to the expansion programme, the Institute (University) was shifted from Mandalay to Yezin in 1973. The Master’s courses were offered in 1978 with the introduction of semester credit system.
The Yezin Agricultural University (YAU) was transferred from the Higher Education Department, Ministry of Education to the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation on the September 1, 1993. In 1998 Institute of Agriculture was renamed as Yezin Agricultural University. The Ph.D courses were offered in 2001, November. Postgraduate diploma courses were offered in 2006.
YAU has been used the credit hour saving system since 2017 - 2018 Academic Year. Credit can be transferred or cumulated for his bachelor degree. YAU has been already sought assistance to revise curriculum and syllabus from JICA-TCP. Moreover online registration, student management software, online assess for literature finding and E-government for communication have been preparing to use.